Crescent Springs Presbyterian Church officially organized in July 1898. Before we were officially a church, CSPC was a small one-room school house. Now we have more than 100 active members and continue to grow. We celebrated our centennial a few years ago and look forward to more similar celebrations in the future. Our official history is described below.
From a one room schoolhouse…
Sometime before 1892, a Sunday School was organized in a one room school house. It was known as a Union Sabbath School, to which members of all denominations attended. On the second Sunday in January, 1894, being earnestly solicited by James G. Anderson, D. C. Collins was unanimously voted in as Superintendent of the Sabbath School. Mr. Collins was an elder at the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church. In Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church history there is a notation that their new church building was built in 1883. To the north was the residence of D. C. Collins and his family. The church building was destroyed by fire on January 10, 1886. In a Madison Avenue Presbyterian church directory dated 1/96-10/02 D. C. was listed as a standing elder. His family was listed with addresses in Crescent Springs.
CSPC is born with 38 members…
Around the first of July 1898, after several years of preaching by pastors of different denominations at irregular times, the Synodical Committee of Ebenezer Presbytery sent Evangelist the Reverend Henry Miller. He preached every night for two weeks. Rev Miller’s biography states “This is the kind of work in which he took much delight, and for which he had great aptitude. He rejoiced in every opportunity to conduct these meetings, because they opened the way for him to do what he would rather do than anything in the world-that is, lead souls to Jesus Christ”. Rev. Miller received into the church by letter, on profession of faith, and by reexamination, 38 members. It was then ordered that on the evening of July 14, 1898, the members proceed to organize the Crescent Springs Presbyterian Church in connection with the Presbyterian Church in the United States.
Church building is erected…
After donation of land from Mrs. Lelia Collins Ebbert, daughter of D. C. Collins, volunteers went to work to build a church. On May 13, 1899 the formal laying of the cornerstone took place, the Rev. Joseph Rennie of Madison Avenue Presbyterian church conducted the service. The first service in the new building was the first Sunday in October, 1899. The congregation were made up for the most part by the Sunday School pupils as the seats were very uncomfortable for grown people, which fact determined us to move as soon as possible into our new building although it was incomplete. The Rev. W. A. Daniel preached regularly on alternate Sabbaths until the Rev. Charles Diehl was installed. The new building was dedicated September 15, 1901, by which time 12 additional members had been added to the rolls.
The church grows… and grows…
2 years later… The annex was added in 1903 at a cost of $2,029 to be used as a Sunday Schoolroom.
40 years later… Through the efforts of the Women’s Auxiliary, and labor of Eb Powers, the belfry was completed in June, 1938.
50 years later… Through much volunteer labor the Manse was ready for occupancy on April 14, 1948.
59 years later… Using plans designed to be considered for a new sanctuary if needed, the Educational Building was dedicated on September 8, 1957.
70 years later… During the 1960’s much renovation work took place primarily in the sanctuary. New stained glass windows were placed as well as new carpet and lighting. The parking lot was paved for the first time.
98 years later… After a major building program which included a new sanctuary and fellowship space below, the congregation held its first service in the new space in January 1996. The dedication service was held on Pentecost Sunday, 1996. Unnamed quotes were taken from the Historical Sketch of the Church delivered by D. C. Collins during the dedication service of September 15, 1901.